Bosch is known worldwide for providing some of the best power tools on the market. Their table saws are no different, often performing well above expectations for both DIY and professional projects. Now that the Bosch 4100XC-10 Table Saw is available, many wonder how it sizes up to its popular predecessor, the 4100-10.
This article will help give you a good look at the Bosch 4100XC-10 and show how it stands up to the older version. If you're in the market for a table saw you'll want to take a look at this new revised saw from Bosch, and we'll help you decide if it's the right one for you.
Bosch 10" Table Saw Review (Model 4100XC-10)
Bosch Company Overview
Robert Bosch Tool Corporation is one of the world's most trusted manufacturers of power tools and accessories. Specifically, their Power Tools Division is a global leader in the production of this type of equipment.
The company describes itself as dedicated to maintaining a furious pace of innovation, a claim that they have not yet failed to stand by. Bosch releases over 100 brand-new power tools into the world every year. Rest assured that the Bosch 4100XC-10 Table Saw does not fall out of step with the outstanding line-up of devices they've produced thus far.
- Amps: 15 Amps
- Arbor Size: 5/8"
- Blade Diameter: 10"
- Depth of Cut @ 45°: 2-1/4"
- Depth of Cut @ 90°: 3-1/8"
- Max Rip to Left of Blade: 8-1/2"
- Max Rip to Right of Blade: 30"
- No Load Speed: 3650 RPM
- Weight: 94-pounds with stand
- Gravity-Rise Stand
- Square Lock Rip Fence
- Auxiliary Fence for Narrow Pieces
- Miter Gauge
- Smart Guard System
Watch the Video
Design of the Bosch 4100XC-10 10" Table Saw
The Bosch 4100XC-10 is very lightweight, and perfect for moving around the job site. Here's a closer look at this table saw's key characteristics:
Table - The table measures 30" x 22 ½" tabletop, which is just a smidge larger than its predecessor, the 4100-10. (That table saw had a tabletop which measured 29" x 21-½") It has a 30" rip capacity, which will allow you to work with up to 4-foot workpieces and cut them clean in half!
Unfortunately, there's no outfield support table. However, you can easily purchase a rolling stand to use for larger cuts.
Rip Fence - The Bosch 4100XC-10 features a SquareLock rip fence that Bosch specially designed to maximize trueness and increase its ease-of-use. There's also an auxiliary fence that you can use for narrower workpieces, which expands the table saw's versatility.
Admittedly, it's a bit tough to make slight adjustments on this rip fence. However, it still provides a comfortable working experience, as it locks onto the workpiece, enabling you to work with only one hand at a time when necessary. This allows you to guide the wood as it travels through the cut, ensuring greater accuracy.
Dust Collection - There's a 2-1/4" dust port where a vacuum hose can be attached, or you can add the dust collector bag accessory which will collect the dust for easy disposal.
Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand - Included with the purchase of the table saw is the Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand, model GTA47W. The stand allows for you to make adjustments to the saw's height, and the 8-inch wheels can easily tackle moving through rough terrain on a job site.
The Gravity-Rise Wheel Stand is made with heavy-gauge steel tubing which reduces vibration, keeps the overall weight down, and offers plenty of stability.
Miter Gauge - The miter gauge is longer than most and has a solid, heavy feel.
The Bosch 4100XC-10 features numerous safety features to help prevent injury during use. These include:
- Switch Lock - The switch lock is a great feature that helps prevent accidental start-ups and protects your saw from being used when you're not around. I covers up the power switch with a secure flap, and can lock it with a 3/16" or 1/4" diameter padlock.
- Blade Safety - The Smart Guard System keeps the blade covered without obstructing your view. This ensures your physical safety without compromising the quality of your work. This safety system includes a riving knife as well, which works alongside the anti-kickback assembly, described below, to keep the saw stable as you work.
- Anti-Kickback Assembly - Another part of the Smart Guard System is the anti-kickback pawls. As you feed your workpiece through the cut, the pawls help prevent injury for you and damage to your table saw.
- Power Safety - One of the most notable power safety features is the table saw's soft-start circuitry. This controls the motor's start-up intensity, reducing the possibility of tripping the circuit breaker upon start-up. It also features restart protection to prevent accidental start-ups.
Properly maintenance will help keep your Bosch 4100XP-10 in good working order and improve it's service life. Here are the recommendations Bosch provides:
- Do not allow sawdust to accumulate within the saw. Use a brush or forced air to clean it and prevent built-up.
- Use Gum and Pitch remover to clean the blades and other cutting parts.
- Wipe down the blade guard with a soft cloth or brush periodically. Also wipe the cord to prevent oil and grease accumulation.
- Sharpen the anti-kickback pawls as needed.
- Side rails and table locking cams should be lubricated periodically with WD-40.
Bosch also recommends that you apply automobile wax to the tabletop's surface on occasion. This ensures that the workpieces slide easily across the tabletop. The gear case has been factory sealed, but you should have it lubricated at a service center every 6 to 12 months.
Performance of the Bosch 4100XC-10
The 4100XC-10 runs incredibly smooth and quiet. It's even been described as elegant by some. You may want to read our table saw buyers guide to learn more on how to buy a table saw. Here's a few key features to consider when evaluating this saw's performance:
RPM - The Bosch 4100XC-10 runs at 3,650 RPM which matches the earlier 4100-10 model. But focusing on RPM can be a tricky thing. Many people worry that a lower RPM means a saw simply won't have enough power, but when RPM increases, torque decreases, so manufacturers try to find the right balance between blade speed and torque to allow their saws to deliver the best possible performance. The 4100XC-10 has plenty of power and is more than capable of handling a challenge.
Motor - The 15-amp German-engineered electric motor can deliver up to 4-horsepower, giving you enough power to tackle hardwoods and other more challenging cuts without bogging down.
Rip and Cut Specs - The 4100XC-10 has a 30-inch rip capacity to the right, and 8-1/2 inches to the left. It has a bevel range of -2° to 47°, and at 90° can make a 3-1/8" maximum depth cut. At 45° it has a maximum cut of 2-1/2".
Dado Blades - Since the 4100XC-10 accepts a dado set this saw has plenty of versatility.
The Bosch 4100XC-10 is perfect for DIY projects and can tackle modest work on the job site. It's highly portable and ideal for general-purpose work.
How Does the Bosch 4100XC-10 Compare to the 4100-10
Let's take a quick look at how the Bosch 4100XC-10 compares head-to-head against the 4100-10:
Bosch Model #
10-inch Table Saw
10-inch Table Saw
32.5" D x 27" L x 13" H
37.7" D x 29.4" W x 19.4" H
30" Rip Capacity
25" Rip Capacity
15 AMP / 3650 RPM
15 AMP / 3650 RPM
The Bosch 4100XC-10 Table Saw is a good solid choice which can cut through a wide range of workpiece sizes for both DIY projects and professional work.
It's low weight makes it much easier to move than heavier saws, and since the Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand is included, you'll have the versatility of a stand.
Overall, the 4100XC-10 is a nice upgrade to their wildly popular 4100-10 and 4100-09 models. It's fair to assume that these older models will soon be discontinued, but it's nice to know that Bosch is replacing them with a table saw that should easily be able to surpass their performance and customer satisfaction.
We recommend the Bosch 4100XC-10 Table Saw, however, if you're looking for another saw to compare, you may want to check out the DeWalt 10-inch Table Saw, model DWE7491RS. DeWalt builds high quality products and are known for their accurate and easy-to-use Rip Fence design. You can read our full review here.
- The powerful 15 amp motor delivers up to 4 HP
- Adjustable stand height
- Quality, out-of-the-box miter gauge
- Difficult to make micro adjustments with the rip fence
- Limited space between the front of the saw and the blade
[amazon box="B00F2CGXGG,B07657FP2G,B083ZKXPDR" grid="3"]